Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Dad Joining Blog But He Doesn't Know

Earlier today my dad and I were talking and he mentioned someone he met that might be able to help him train smarter.  I asked him if he had ever heard of Team In Training.  First he said he thought that was just around in my area (California).  Then he said that if it's by him it would be in Chicago (he's in the suburbs) and he's not going to Chicago.  While I continued to talk to him about it I got on the site and found a nearby chapter for him with an upcoming informational meeting.  (Of course I found one!) And then he said that the program is designed for people just starting out.  I told him that it's for all levels of athletes and he could tell him that his goal is to decrease his time and they would work with him for that.  I said he'd just have to raise money for the charity.  That would be an obstacle with his condition, even more so.  The direct response was, "I'd like to raise money to pay my bills." (Wouldn't we all?) I didn't go there though, just encouraged him to at least check out the information meeting.

Well, he just called me again and he said that if I'm really interested in his training (I asked him to mail me his first running log from 1989) then he could send me an email every day with an update on his progress.  I told him that he could do that or he could start a blog and share it with the world and get feedback and make connections.  He told me that he didn't think anyone would be interested.  I do though.  I think he's fascinating and I know there are others like him that could relate to him and his struggle.   If he does this comeback I know his mental state will improve to some degree and hopefully he could be an inspiration to others. 

Since he doesn't want to give blogging a try I asked him if I could have free rights to publish anything online that he emails me.  I told him to put parentheses around anything that is private but I made sure other than that, would it be okay for me to use it and he agreed.

He said those emails will start tomorrow so starting tomorrow this blog will have two authors but one of them won't know.  After the marathon I will share this blog with him but until then, it's just between us....my readers to be and me.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's awesome you are going to surprise your dad and run a marathon with him I will be following your journey.

    also I am hosting a running sleeve giveaway I hope your will stop by and check it out.

    http://www.ericarunning.com/2009/10/ff-jones-wares-review-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete