Saturday, December 26, 2009

My First 5k

Exactly one month ago today I completed my first 5k.  It was Thanksgiving morning and I did it in 00:34:37.  I was feeling absolutely amazing after that race.  I screamed as I crossed the finish line.  I wasn't tired, I wasn't in pain, I think I might have been able to do the 10k that day.  I really liked all the energy and excitement.

Up until the day before the race dad told me that he had given up on running and wasn't going to do the Turkey Trot but the morning of he changed his mind.  He didn't do the run that he registered for but he did another one spur of the moment.  My mom saw it advertised in the newspaper and told him about it.  He went over there to watch and found out it wasn't going to start a couple hours later, at 10:00am.  He had time to go home and decide to do it.  He brought my mom and their dog back in the camper and he did the race.  And this is what he had to say about it:
I did it! 7th out of 8 in my age group and 170th out of 185 overall. Not bad for no training. Now I will start training. Have a happy Thanksgiving. Say hi to everybody for me. Love you,
Dad

The run he did was a trail run so it was a little bit more difficult than the pavement I did and he completed it in slightly more time than me, about one minute more.  I was so happy to hear that he did it.  My race started at 8:00am and since his started at 10:00am we were running at the same time.  I'm on Pacific time and he's on Central time is why.  When I crossed the start line I felt a little emotional, slightly choked up.  It was a great day.  I didn't find out until afterward that dad had decided to run so I think it's pretty cool that on my first running event dad was doing one too.



I got a t shirt for him from the race and the brochure and I'm going to save it for him.  I also bought a Blogger t shirt for him since Blogger is where I'm keeping track of this story for him.  I'm going to save memorabilia and give it to him after our marathon in March.  At that time I'll also share the link to this blog where he'll be able to not only read everything I've been going through but also all the comments that my readers have left for us.  Thank you for reading and thank you for the kind words that you've shared with me on here, DailyMile.com, and my Team In Training page.

1 comment:

  1. hey! where'd you go? how's the training going? how's the dad?

    ReplyDelete