Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Noticing A Difference

I've had a few more runs since the last time I posted.  I have more details on http://www.dailymile.com/people/sarahkala.  The run that I am happiest about was my track workout with Team In Training from last night.  After stretching we did two laps around the track.  I was able to jog the entire time.  This was the first time that I did not run/walk.  This past Saturday I went to the coach led training which also happened to be at a track and I followed the run/walk team and ran the straights and walked the curves.  I did two miles that way and don't know if I could have done as much if I had only jogged but the half mile that I did yesterday without needing to walk was an improvement. 

After those two laps we returned for some core work.  The training was held at night and it was actually really nice to lay there working my abs underneath the stars.  I really prefer outdoors to indoors and that is why I don't think I'll be doing much training at the gym.  I also do much better when I work out with people.  I still don't have my pace down yet so to make sure I don't go to fast I still find a group that seems to go pretty slow and then follow them.  After we finished the set of exercises the coaches sent us out for two more laps.  This time I was not following behind a group, I was talking to a team captain as we jogged together.  So not only was I jogging the entire time, but I was talking.  I think that's an improvement for my endurance and for my lungs.  These are good things because tomorrow I will be doing my first race.  I'm doing a 5k turkey trot.

This past Sunday I tried to follow the course but I couldn't quite follow it exactly.  I did do most of it though so I think I'll be able to finish.  Finishing is my goal.  There are some inclines that will be a little challenging and they are early on in the course so I'm planning on walking up those to make sure I don't exert all my energy there.  We haven't had hill training yet so I don't know the techniques in that area.  I did go to a run/walk clinic on Saturday though and received some tips on walking efficiently to decrease strides and lower times. 

At the end of practice yesterday an honoree spoke.  He told us his story with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and how the money raised by Team In Training directly helped him.  He is cancer free and a lot of that is because of a treatment he received which was possible due to research from Genentech, funded by Leukemia Lymphoma Society.  He had a long battle though.  He got to the point in the story when he found out that his bloodwork had come back perfect and he said that he was surprised to hear that because physically, he felt terrible.  If anything, he thought he was getting worse.  He had no energy whatsover to do anything.  He went on to explain that his physical symptoms had nothing to do with cancer.  He was diagnosed with clinical chronic depression. 

I am telling everyone that asks why I started running that I'm doing it for my dad.  I tell them that I want to show him that I love him and support him and that he inspires me.  All the aches and pains that I will experience from my training and my accomplishment when I cross the finish line will be a gift to him.  Team In Training is helping me make this a reality.  My fundraising will hopefully make living cancer free a reality for more people, like it has for the honoree that shared his story last night.  My dad does not have leukemia or lymphoma but he does suffer from depression and as this honoree pointed out, so do a lot of the people that have cancer.  Hearing this connection was really good for me.  I think that Team In Training brings hope to a lot of people because there are success stories even though there is still not a cure.  Team In Training says, "Saving Lives One Mile At A Time".  Here's to saving lives!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment